Rookwood General Cemetery invites individual and group proposals for HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures 2020.
Entry is free. Proposals are open to emerging, mid-career and established artists for new or existing works that relate to the exhibition’s themes.
We are looking for sculptural works that respond to the cemetery and engage with HIDDEN’s themes of history, culture, remembrance, diversity, love, mourning, spirituality, cycles of life and the passage of time. Proposals are invited from a wide range of artistic approaches, materials and forms, including kinetic elements, performance and participatory engagements. We are looking for a broad span of works ranging from celebratory, big, bright and colourful through to contemplative, personal, intimate and thought provoking.
Complete the Online Application Form below to submit a proposals (printable PDFs also available below).
Artists are welcome to discuss ideas with the curator before submitting at firstname.lastname@example.org
Key dates 2020
- 6 April Proposal applications due
- 8 May Successful notification to artists
- June Site visits with curator
- 30 June Final artist statement / forms due
- 2 - 9 September Sculptures installation
- 19 September Launch
- 19 September - 18 October HIDDEN Exhibition
- 19 - 25 October Deinstallation
Awards and honorariums
Valued at over $34,000.
- $500 per artwork
- Extra $200 per artwork if over 200km away
- Rookwood Sculpture Award - $10,000
- Artist at the Armory Award - valued at $1,500 (+$200 for materials)
- Rookwood Sensory Award - $1,000
- Western Sydney Artist Award - $1,000
- Cumberland Council Professional Development Award - valued at $1,000 (+ $200 for materials)
- First Nations Artist Award - $1000
- People's Choice Award - $500
- Staff Choice Award - $300
If you are having difficulties with this online form contact the Marketing Department on 8575 8100 or email Kath Fries at email@example.com