HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures 2023 features works by midcareer, established, and emerging artists; collaborations, and community groups: across a wide range of artistic approaches, materials, and forms. There is a broad span of works ranging from celebratory, big, bright, and colourful, through to personal, contemplative, and thought provoking. All works respond to the context of Rookwood in some way, such as the cemetery’s contemporary relevance, diverse cultural practices, historical significance, celebration of life, personal stories, or evocative sense of place. As well as engage with one or more of the HIDDEN themes: contemplation, history, culture, remembrance, diversity, love, loss, mourning, spirituality, relationships, memory, community, cycles of life and the passage of time.
Exhibiting Sculptures Artists:
Kealey Bacic, Glenn Barkley, Lachlan Bell, Corey Black, Caitlin Bowe, Celine Cheung, Cole Cochran, Harry Copas, Crackpot Studios (Caroline Wright, Mandie Robertson, Sarah Robertson, Bridget Willis), Lisa Hölzl, Kumiko Delaney, Szymon Dorabialski, Entangled (Belinda Piggott, Dinah Taprell, Jane Lush), Stevie Fieldsend, Emily Greenwood, Sylvia Griffin, Hyun Hee Lee, Virginia Keft, Soyoun Kim, Benita Laylim, Karlina Mitchell and Lee Mitchell, Clare Nicholson, Nicole O'Regan, Leyla Oz, NC Qin, Taryn Raffan, Jayanto Tan, Jane Theau, Dianne Turner.
HIDDEN Sculptures judging panel:
- Rookwood Sculpture Award sponsored by Metropolitan Memorial Parks $10,000
- Muru Award sponsored by Dharug Strategic Management Group $2,000
- Beautiful Farewells Funeral Director Award sponsored by Beautiful Farewells $1,000
- Nerine Martini Memorial Award sponsored by Life Rites Funerals $1,000
- Western Sydney Artist Award sponsored by The West Journal $1,000
- Emerging Artist Award sponsored by Metropolitan Memorial Parks $1,000
- Honorarium of $400 for each artwork, sponsored by Metropolitan Memorial Parks
Immerse yourself in the exhibition with the HIDDEN Rookwood Sculptures audio tours. These self-guided audio tours are free and accompanied by transcriptions, allowing you to delve into the artists' perspectives on their work.